Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Gift-Giving That Makes a Difference, Part 1

So I thought I would feature a new weekly or maybe bi-weekly column about some "gift ideas" that are about more than just us...this really stems from what God has been doing in my heart the last few months...maybe I'll share some of that as we go along.

Anyway, nobody likes to shop more than I do...just ask Scott. All joking aside, I have been learning to be a lot more disciplined in money matters and I still have a VERY long way to go!

But, as we approach the Christmas gift-giving season, we (like 99% of you!) have to cut back on what we spend on others this year. So I was trying to get creative with gift ideas and really trying to come up with some thing that will be meaningful for each recipient. Thus this weekly article, starting today!
1 John 3:17-18

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."


Compassion is one of the largest and most widely-used child-sponsorship programs around. I know several people who sponsor a child through them. They have a great reach all over the world!

Besides the obvious child-sponsorship gift, I found some unique ideas on the website! Here's a few of my favorites:

Men's or Women's Graphic Tees found at their online store. This one says "Please" in Portuguese. Proceeds from this $22 tee goes to the Global Food Crisis Fund.

This Baby Onesie features the word "Baby" in several different languages. Also in brown and blue for a boy, but I have some little nieces to buy for, so I featured the pink. The proceeds from this $15 onesie go to support the Child Survival Program.

They also have a unique Christmas Gift Program for children in poverty. A donation of at least $18 per child helps to provide Christmas gifts. You can then get creative with what you give to the person you gave in honor of.

1 comment:

RDJones said...

oh this is a wonderful idea! This is what I want for Christmas!