Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Ree's Cookbook: Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

I have made this casserole countless times, revised it and perfected it. And have told many of my friends who wanted the recipe that it was on my blog...except that it wasn't! Major oops! So sorry to any of you who I told to just "look it up on my blog"! This is a staple recipe for me and I truly thought it was up here! 

So, without further a do, here's Ree's Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, or if you prefer something fancier, "Chicken Divan". 

Makes one 9x11 casserole (and doubles, triples, etc very well!)

Ingredients:
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (depending on size)
1 LB. frozen broccoli cuts
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
16 oz. mayonnaise
shredded cheddar cheese
curry powder
Ritz crackers

Instructions:
1. Lightly salt and pepper chicken breasts; boil in a large pot OR bake in oven until cooked through.When cooked and cooled slightly, chop into bite-size pieces. Place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Boil frozen broccoli until JUST cooked through. {I hate soggy broccoli, and it will cook more in the oven, so I usually cook mine "al dente"}Drain and add to the chicken in large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the soup and mayo. Add in some curry, to taste. {I think the original recipe gave a 1 TBS measurement, but you can certainly do more or less, depending on taste. I do more.}This is what I commonly call the "goo".
4. Toss the chicken and broccoli with a handful or so of shredded cheese {again, no measurement, go with what you like!} and pour the "goo" in, combining all ingredients well.
5. Spread in 9x11 baking dish. Top with crushed Ritz crackers and more shredded cheese. {I usually use one sleeve of crackers per baking dish, but Scott likes more}
6. Bake in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes to one hour, until bubbly and internal temp is at least 170 degrees. {PSA: everyone should have a kitchen thermometer!}

Enjoy y'all! This is not a fancy dish, like I am prone to making, but its good, homey comfort food! I have people all the time tell me they don't like casseroles and/or broccoli, but they love this casserole, so give it a try!

No comments: